Wednesday - August 10, 2016

Woodlawn Family Bible Study
WEDNESDAY

BIBLE READING:  James 4:13-17

MAIN IDEA: “These are the Days of Our Lives”

DISCUSSION:
As a child growing up I must admit I watched a lot of television. Even today I can’t sleep late on Saturday because there is something in my DNA that says, “It’s time for Saturday morning cartoons."  During the week, I loved getting up early to watch those game shows like "Family Feud," "The Price is Right," and my favorite “Press Your Luck." In the afternoon, it was “Scooby Doo,” “The Flintstones,” “The Andy Griffin Show,” and “G-Force.” There was, however, a lull in my day from the hours of 11am till 3:00 in the afternoon. That is when the dreaded “Stories,” as my mother called them, were on. I despised soap operas! As I grew older, there was one of the “stories” that had gained popularity with the girls in my high-school. It was so popular it was simply referred to as “Days…” (Now, it is important to note that this was prior to the DVR. Some of my more affluent friends had a VCR and it used tapes!). When someone would bring a tape that contained last week’s episodes of “Days,” it was if the WWF Royal Rumble had erupted in math class. So being the “ladies man that I was” (insert laugh here), I thought maybe this would be a great way be able to talk to these girls and show them I was the strong, sensitive type (insert a bunch of laughs here). I got about three minutes in before I realized this stuff was not for me. 

It did, however, teach me a lesson that I think about every time I read the book of James. I can still see that hourglass on that old console television and hear the man’s voice as he said, “Like sands in the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Lives.”  Wow, what a great lesson!  As I ponder the thought that every minute, every second of our life is rapidly being drained away from us until one day our time will run out, I have a plethora of emotions. First depression, then anxiety, until finally urgency!  James 4:14 describes our life a vapor, that it’s only here for a little while and then it is gone!  That man in my television brought to light a lesson that I need even today when he said, “Like sand in the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.” Man, I sure did waste a lot of sand watching television.

APPLICATION:
Other than vegging out in front of the television, what are some other things that we do that cause us to waste a lot of the precious time that we have left? What are some practical things that we can do to make the most of our time left; doing things that bring us closer to God?

Prayer Requests

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“I Will Call Upon the Lord”

“Blow-out in Boston”

"The Advice of Azariah"