Friday - August 26, 2016

Woodlawn Family Bible Study
FRIDAY

BIBLE READING:  Matthew 27:32-56

I just finished watching the classic film “Back to the Future” with my sons.  The whole time I was watching them enjoy the film and the whole concept of “time travel,” the thought occurred to me, "What would I do if I could travel back in time?"  Would I go back and tell Nick Saban to not try for that last second field goal in the 2013 Iron Bowl? Maybe go back in school and try applying myself a little more in the classroom? Maybe I could go back and buy all of the Apple and Google stock I could?  All of these ideas sound great in the grand scheme of things, but they would have not made a significant change in my life.  You see, if Saban would have just went into overtime, the Tide may have still lost.  Applying myself in school might have caused me to make better grades and help me get a better job, but it would not change my love for what I do now.  The money of the stock, yeah…I would be rich, but I would find some way to squander it away on some material possessions I really don’t need.  

The truth is, I would like to go back in time, but I would like to visit the spot when God created the world, or inside the den of lions with Daniel, or maybe even witness the brutal death of Jesus on the cross. If I could go back and just witness these events as they actually happened, maybe I would learn to appreciate the gift that I have in being a child of God. You might think that seeing these events as they actually happened may even help me to develop a deeper more meaningful relationship with Christ. But all of this imagining is just that: imagining. Time travel (as of 2016) is impossible...or is it?  If you think about it, God has created a way for me to go back in time. It is called Genesis 1, Daniel 6 and Matthew 27. God has provided me a way to go back and visualize these events by reading His word. The Apostle Paul said to a young Timothy, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17). That phrase, “training in righteousness,” gives me all I need to enhance my relationship with Christ. By using my Bible, God provides me a way to deeper appreciate what I have, plus I don’t risk messing things up like Marty McFly!

Application: If you could go back in time, what would you like to witness?

Prayer Requests

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Prepare for Happiness”