Tuesday - August 30, 2016

Woodlawn Family Bible Study
TUESDAY

BIBLE READING:  2 Samuel 23:8-17

As a child, I remember going to my great grandparent's house to help pick strawberries. Part of my job was to draw water from the well and carry everyone a drink to keep them hydrated. I can recall lowering the bucket deep, deep into the well, and drawing out the cold, refreshing, water. I never could figure out how that water could be so cold on such a hot day. I still don’t think I have ever had water as good and cold as I did from that old well. So I can sympathize with David as he hid from the Philistines in the cave of Adullam with his mighty men. It was there that he said, “Oh, that someone would five me water to drink from the well of Bethlehem that is by the gate!” (2 Samuel 23:15). Growing up, David probably drank from that well countless times, and now he was reminiscing about the thirst-quenching water that he so desperately desired. The problem was that about twenty miles away, the enemy was camped all around the well. Regardless, David’s mighty men risked their lives to bring back some of the water from that well for their king. David must have been so happy about having the water. In fact, he was so happy that he poured it out as an offering to God. David knew he was not worthy enough to drink this water that his men had so bravely obtained for him. It was a sacrifice meant for the only One who was worthy. 

Application: What have you poured out to God this week? How many blessings have you received from Him that you did not deserve? Today, take a moment to make an offering to God, and allow Him the glory. 

Prayer Request

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Prepare for Happiness”