Thursday - June 23, 2016

Woodlawn Family Bible Study
THURSDAY

BIBLE READING:  Colossians 4:6 and James 3:13

MAIN IDEA:   Slow down and think before you breakup a troubled home

DISCUSSION:
A moment of patience in a moment of anger can save you years of regret.  Do you argue more than you pray in your home? Our country has an alarming number of divorces within the first couple of years. Putting God first, patience and realizing life is not just about you, is a must for success. When you said I do, your life changed from me to we; you accepted responsibility to share your life with someone as a family. One mark of a Christian home is patience. Successful families are not the ones who never have storms. They are the ones that weather the storms and make their homes even stronger as they rebuild.

Ask yourself these questions and answer honestly:
  • Do I fly off the handle answering questions that I think the one asking should know the answer?
  • Do I talk down to others in my family?
  • Are most of my comments argumentative?
  • Do I expect everyone to see and do things my way?

God’s word gives us some good guidance on how we should be able to answer these questions.  Paul tells us in Colossians 4:6 that proper speech builds happy relations.
James (3:13) is talking about controlling our tongue. Lack of patience and resulting harsh words can destroy years of good family relations and possibly a home.

So how do we overcome these problems in our family?  Jesus tells us to “do unto others as you want them to do unto you.” (Matthew 7:12).  God first, patience, and a ”we” not “me” attitude.

APPLICATION:
Ask these questions. Does the family suffer from not giving God the time we should? What in my life is contributing to this?

Prayer Requests

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Is there Joy in your Heart?”