"Save Me, O God!"


BIBLE READING: Psalm 65-66 & 69-70
                I have a confession to make.  I am not a very good swimmer, although the thought of being in a pool on a hot summer day is relaxing and refreshing.  The thought of being dropped off in the middle of the river terrifies me.  One of the reasons that swimming is not my “thing”, is that I panic! The moment the waters begin to rise above my neck and I my feet are no longer able to touch the floor…I panic.  It is the horrible feeling of not having something solid that I can rely on to get me to safety.  However painful of a thought that is, I do receive comfort in knowing that I am not alone in my fears.  In fact, I believe (and if you have Scriptural proof otherwise, please do not show me), that David had some sort of the same fear.  In Psalm 69, David writes of the need to be rescued from deep waters.  “Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck.  I sink deep in deep mire, where there is not foothold; I have come into deep waters and the flood sweeps over me.” (Psalm 69.1-2).  Now, I am fully aware that David is speaking metaphorically and that he is not really talking about being dropped off in the Jordan River; but his fear is real.  Whether David is writing for the nation as a whole or simply himself, his feelings are real.  The waters are his enemies that continue to pile up against him.  The deep represents a lack of an answer from God who would be the solid ground on which he could push up from.  I think we can all agree that these feeling and emotions are terrifying, to say the least, but the rest of the psalm offers hope.  “…you who seek God, let your hearts revive.  For the LORD hears the needy and does not despise his own people who are prisoners.” (Psalm 69.32-33).  Let that be our hope.  Help us to remember that no matter what problem is overtaking us to the point of feeling like we are drowning, the LORD hears!
Prayer Requests:_______________________________________________________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“I Will Call Upon the Lord”

“Blow-out in Boston”

"The Advice of Azariah"