“Singing the Psalms”


BIBLE READING: Psalm 90-95

                Usually devotional songs are a part of my daily life.  If I am not singing them in chapel at Mars Hill Bible School, I sing them at church, while I work or even when I am driving.  There is just something about singing them and hearing them sung that just warms my heart a little bit.  There are even some days I will read something, see something or hear something that will call to mind a specific song.  Then for the rest of my day I just can’t shake it, it is my head and will probably stay there the rest of the day.  I am in no way suggesting that is a bad thing, in fact on the contrary there are a lot of worse things I could allow my mind to focus on.  It just so happens that two of those songs are found in the reading for today in Psalm 95.  In case you have forgotten, these psalms were intended to be songs that were to be sung by God’s people during their worship and praise to God.  Although, we will never really get to hear how they were originally sung (at least not this side of heaven), we do have the ability to make up our own tunes to convey their original intent and message.  As you read this Psalm today, why not try singing it to its modern- day arrangement, and if you don’t know it, make up your own.  It will not only help you to remember it, it will warm your heart just a little bit as you praise God with the exact same words that God’s people praised him centuries ago. 
Come Let Us Sing
            Oh come, let us sing to the LORD; let us shout aloud, to the rock of our salvation!
             Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; and extol Him with music and song!
            For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.
            In his hand are the depths of the earth; and he mountain peaks belong to Him.
            The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land.
Come Let Us Worship and Bow Down
            Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker! For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand…and the sheep of His hand.      
                                                                                                                                    MH


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Is there Joy in your Heart?”