“SARCASM AND THE BLIND MAN”


BIBLE READING: John 9, 10. 1-21
                I must confess something to you…I am a fan of sarcasm.  Now don’t get me wrong, I would never endorse “back talk” as my parents referred to it.  However, at times sarcasm can be just the thing needed for people to really understand a situation.  For instance, I read this quote the other day “When people ask me stupid questions, it is my legal obligation to give a sarcastic remark.”  I almost feel that is the sentiment the blind man has as he if facing the Pharisees.  Jesus has just given sight to a man that was born blind.  Imagine, never being able to see anything your whole life and now you can see everything (Even the absurdity of the Pharisees).  They bring this man before the Council and ask him the following questions: Are you the man that was born blind? Yes! How is it that you now see? A man placed mud on my eyes and told me to wash it off and now I see!  They did not believe him, so they asked him again. They even resorted to bringing the man’s parents in and asking them the same questions.  Finally, they ask him a third time the exact same questions.  You can imagine how frustrating this must have been for the blind man, who continually held to his story of mud, wash, see!  It is here when we may just see a little bit of the sarcasm of this man slip out. “He answered them, "I have told you already, and you would not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become his disciples?" (John 9:27).  I do believe that is why the previous quote might hold some validity, “When people ask me stupid questions, it is my legal obligation to give a sarcastic remark.”  The Jews had no real intention of understanding how he received his sight; they were only out for finding some sort of incriminating evidence that they could use against Jesus.   In hindsight, maybe they would have wanted to become His disciples.
Prayer Requests:___________________________________________________________________________________


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Prepare for Happiness”

“Blow-out in Boston”