Wednesday - January 24, 2017

Woodlawn Family Bible Study
WEDNESDAY

BIBLE READING:  James 1:19-27

I have a problem!  I will be the first to admit that I think too highly of myself. I am constantly over estimating my own abilities, incessantly insisting that I can handle a project, a task or a job by myself without ever asking for help. I will also admit that it has gotten me into trouble more times than I can count. Even my spouse knows that if I say I can do something in about a hour, that really means it is going to take all day. I am as stubborn as they come.  I also know that I am not alone. 

Spiritually speaking, we all seem to think we can handle our sins and temptations on our own. Guess what, we can’t!  No matter how strong we may be, by ourselves, we can never stand up to the power that the Devil has over this world. The good news is that God, in His infinite wisdom, knew that we could not, and never intended for us to, face our spiritual battles alone. In Mark 14:38, Jesus tells His disciples, “Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation.  The spirit is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak.” In other words, God says, “Look at your situation and ask for my help. You will think you can handle it, but I know you can’t!”  

Application: The sooner we come to this realization, the more successful we will be in our efforts to “keep yourself unspotted from the world” (James 1:27).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Is there Joy in your Heart?”