Friday - January 27, 2017

Woodlawn Family Bible Study
FRIDAY

BIBLE READING:  Proverbs 12:1-28

When I was a child I got more than my fair share of “whoopin’s.”  There were many times that I was told to go and get my own switch, and let me say they were all well deserved.  As I got older the spankings diminished, but I still got the disciple I rightly deserved. Now was in the form of being grounded. There were several nights I was not allowed to talk on the phone, watch television, or I was forced to stay in my room. Oh yeah, discipline and I are very well acquainted, and I hated it. I mean, who wouldn’t hate it? It hurts, it is boring, and in the moment, seems like a complete waste of time. 

Did you catch that ”in the moment” part? I thought you might. You see, no one likes being disciplined when being disciplined. In the long run, though, you begin to understand why you received it. As you get older you can begin to appreciate it, because you have the understanding to see its purpose, and that it was always administered to help teach a lesson. My parents might say that if it wasn’t for discipline, I might be in prison today. Solomon says, “Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid” (Proverbs 12:1).
  
Application: Take a moment today to thank your parents for disciplining you. If you have children, make sure you are doing your job to help them not grow up to be stupid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Is there Joy in your Heart?”