“Keep Calm and Carry On”

 

BIBLE READING: Philippians 1-4


“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”  -Philippians 4:11-13

 

            You know what’s great about being a Christian? Life comes with a survival kit. In all the twists and turns and hiccups of life, we have a trusty and handy source that can get you through it all. Of course I’m referring to the strength we find in Jesus. The Apostle Paul serves as an excellent example of surviving everything life throws his way. He wrote today’s devotional Bible verse. Verse 13 is often used more on a regular basis than the previous two verses: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13). I like the fact that this verse is written in direct support of “I can be content in any situation.” So often we isolate this verse, and we apply it to only encourage us to do the impossible, which I am all for. However, sometimes we need to remember that Christ is also here to help in our day to day.

            Paul says he can remain content no matter what the circumstances are around him. I don’t know what is going on in your life right now but think about it. Paul wrote these words while he was locked away in prison. And even while captured, he wrote about rejoicing and being full of joy (Philippians 4:4)! I heard a preacher once say, “You’re either in a storm, just got out of one, or about to enter one.” That can sound daunting at first, but realistically we all know change and difficulty happen. But we can breathe easy and rest confidently because we can handle it. Jesus gives us strength. And he is with us before, after, and during the bad parts in our lives.  When the winds blow, or troubles are on the horizon, or everything goes swimmingly, know that Christ has your back and will be your source of strength to keep calm and carry on.

           

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Blow-out in Boston”

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Is there Joy in your Heart?”