“The Giant’s Aha Moment”


BIBLE READING: 1 Samuel 16-17

                A few years ago, our class studied Kyle Idelman’s book “Aha: The God Moments That Changes Everything”.  Although I may not agree with all his theology, I do think his thoughts are spot-on with this issue.  There comes a time when everyone will have that light go off in their head and they realize that God is real.  This “Aha” Moment comes in many forms; it might be a medical diagnosis, tragedy, or even a near death experience.  The fact of the matter is everyone will at some point in time have that “Aha” moment…everyone!  As we get to this portion of I Samuel, we come to one of the greatest stories of all time.  The story of David and Goliath continues to be one of the greatest underdog stories of all time.  We often teach the story and focus on David and his faith or the lack of faith in Saul, yet we rarely ever look at the story from Goliath’s perspective.  I believe that in the split second before the giant experienced the crushing power of the stone as it was hurled from David’s sling, he had an “Aha Moment”.  We have all heard the stories of people who have had near death experiences say something like “…they were able to see their whole life pass before their eyes”.  I don’t think that is what Goliath saw at all in the moments before his death, I think he saw God.  He saw God in a scrawny little shepherd boy who wasn’t afraid of him.  He saw God in David’s eagerness to face him, as he ran into the battle. And ultimately, I think he saw God in the power of that stone during the fleeting milliseconds of his life.  Do I think that Goliath is going to be in heaven?  I’m glad that decision will be left to the Almighty.  However, I do believe that in that one instant Goliath knew…God is real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Prepare for Happiness”