Wednesday

BIBLE READING: Genesis 35. 1-5

DISCUSSION:

In Genesis 34, Jacob’s only daughter Dinah had been defiled by Shechem. Her brothers Simon and Levi take matters into their own hands and slaughter all the men of the city. Jacob, being afraid of what will become of his family when the other nations hear about what had happened, receives instructions from God in Genesis 35.1 “Arise and go to Bethel and dwell there…” Jacob knew Bethel that was the place where he had a dream when he had fled from Esau after stealing the blessing in Genesis 28. When he gets there he wants him to make an altar and offer up a sacrifice. Okay, so what does this have to do with me in the twenty-first century? Well, maybe a lot. You see, we all have at some point in time needed somewhere to go. I remember as a kid I accidently broke one of my mother’s lamps. After I hid my mess I immediately asked to go to Mamaw’s who lived right beside us. I stayed at Mamaw’s house for what seemed like days, because I was afraid of what might happen if I went home. I knew that sooner or later my mom and I were going to have a “come to Jesus Meeting”, and I was not looking forward to it. You have been there, haven’t you? You’ve done something embarrassing or wrong and needed a place to go to regroup before you had to face the music. That place for Jacob was Bethel! When he got there Jacob instructs his family to get rid of any idols, purify themselves, and change their clothes. They are regrouping and getting ready to have a come to god meeting with their sacrifice at Bethel. By the way, did I mention that Bethel means “House of God”? Maybe it’s time you made a trip to Bethel. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“I Will Call Upon the Lord”

“Blow-out in Boston”

"The Advice of Azariah"