Monday - "Live Like You Are Dying"

Tim McGraw and I have had a love/hate relationship over the years.  You see, once I had a serious illness and my sickness came at the same time as Tim McGraw’s hit song, “Live Like You Were Dying.”  It seemed like every time I turned on the radio that song was on and just reminded me of the scariness of being sick.  Lucky for me, I had less than serious but always sarcastic, co-workers that never miss a good opportunity to get a laugh, no matter the situation.
Before I left work for a week of treatment, my work friends gave me a little party.   I had told all of them how much I despised the song, “Live Like You Were Dying.”   That was my first mistake, letting them see a weakness.  So, when I was opening get well soon cards from them, two of them were grinning like raccoons at a campsite.  I opened their card and immediately, Tim McGraw belted out… “I went skydiving, I went rocky mountain climbin.”   I closed the card, song stopped and my friends were literally rolling on the floor with laughter. 
Though their minds were warped and deranged and I questioned my choice of friends, I knew deep down that it was their way of showing they cared about me.  How do you show you care for others?  In John 13:12-15, Jesus shows how he cares for others and sets an example for us to follow by washing the feet of his disciples.  It was an act of love, humility and service.   I’m not suggesting you wash your friend’s feet, but there is probably something you can do for them to let them know they are special to you.  Have you shown your friends how much you care about them?
Application:
Send a text to 3 people you care about and let them know they are special to you. 

The rest of this week, we’ll look at some other lessons I learned from the song that I loved to hate until I learned the love in the song.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“I Will Call Upon the Lord”

“Blow-out in Boston”

"The Advice of Azariah"