“Feasting on the Word of God”


BIBLE READING: Jeremiah 15-17

                Sundays are always special to me.  I get to enjoy some time in worship to the Almighty God, spend some time in fellowship with my church family, and I always get to enjoy a great lunch.  Sunday Dinner has become a proper noun with our family.  Whether it was ham and fresh vegetables at my mother in laws, or chicken casserole at my moms, Sunday dinner has become a tradition that our family holds dear.  Even amid a pandemic, my wife and daughter have picked up the slack in makings sure Sunday dinner was served.  Even this past Sunday, as I finished the recording for the Sunday afternoon lesson, I could not wait to get home for dinner.  I was not disappointed; white beans fried potatoes, mac and cheese, fried squash, corn and cornbread. I sure do appreciate a good meal; in fact, I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t.  Just to be able to sit down and enjoy a great meal can be the highlight of one’s day.  Wouldn’t it be great if we appreciated the Word of God like we do a good meal?  How would things in life change if you looked forward to studying God’s word as you do when you sit down at the table for a good meal.  That is the way Jeremiah describes his appreciation for the word of God, “Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts.” (Jeremiah 15:16).  Jeremiah saw it, not just like Sunday dinner, but more like a feast that pulled out all the stops.  Today the prophet might have described it as going on a cruise ship and having every dish that you could imagine on an all you could eat scale. Just imagine what our spiritual life would be like if we treated the word of God, like we do food.  There is only one way to find out…excuse me…I’m getting hungry!                                                                                                                                                                         -MH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Is there Joy in your Heart?”