“The Power of Influence”


BIBLE READING:1 Corinthians 8-12

       When I was in high school, I enjoyed playing on the basketball team.  Let me clarify, I wasn’t very good, but I did get to play a good bit.  There was one day in school before one of our bigger games, coach came into our class and grabbed us players to make a visit down to the elementary building.  When we first walked into the doors of the elementary building, we were greeted by what seemed like hundreds of kids.  They were screaming out our names, holding up posters and asking for our autographs.  I was so shocked to listen to some of the kids tell me I was their favorite player and that they wanted my number on their jersey when they grew up.  I’ll admit, the thought did occur to me that coach had staged this to get us motivated for the big game, but that quickly faded when one of the kids yelled out my stat line from the night before.  Again…let me clarify…it wasn’t a very good stat line, but the kid knew it nonetheless.  I felt like I was on top of the world and wonder if this was what Magic Johnson and Kareem felt like when they met their fans.  Later that day, before the game, coach set us down for our pre-game speech and prayer.  Usually his speech consisted of the same basic things, “Get back on defense, box out and hit your free throws”.  However, this was different.  He sat us down and reminded us about what we had done earlier in the day.  Although I can’t remember the exact words, it sounded something like this, As you boys head out of this locker room, don’t forget who you are and who you are representing.  When you are on that court you represent Christ, you represent your parents, you represent Mars Hill Bible School.  People are watching you, those kids you met today are watching you.  Be careful in what you say, how you play and how you handle yourself. Whether we win or lose, you are an example to those little kids…don’t disappoint them.  I can’t remember if we won or lost that night.  I can’t even remember who we played, but I remember that day!  It was that day that I truly understood, whether I realized or not, people were watching me…they were watching my example...I carried influence.  In I Corinthians 8, Paul is discussing whether it was acceptable to eat meat that was offered to idols or if should they refrain. Instead of just answering with a yes or no, Paul takes a different approach.  Paul looks at it from the perspective of influence.  He reminds them that others are watching them; how they act and what they say.  Therefore, whether you think it is acceptable to eat the meat or not, consider those that are around you.  If eating causes them to stumble, don’t eat.  Because if you do, they will be offended, and you will become a stumbling block to them (I Corinthians 8.9). In case you have forgotten Jesus reminds us of the dangers of becoming a stumbling block in Matthew 18.6, “…whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.” Friends, it sounds to me that Jesus takes our influence very serious.  Now in all my life I have never had to worry if I was causing someone to stumble because I ate a thick juicy steak, so maybe the meat aspect of I Corinthians is not applicable to us.  However, the principle provides for us the same lesson that coach was trying to teach us that day.  People are always watching you! You carry influence! You are an example to someone! Make sure you represent correctly and don’t cause them to stumble! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Prepare for Happiness”