"Investments"

BIBLE READING: Matthew 6. 19-21
Many times we are so very short-sighted, placing greater value on the pleasures of this life, than on the glories of the future life in heaven. I can’t say we all do it but I do know that it is all too easy to be caught up in the thoughts and cares of daily living and just forget about God. We invest our time and our talents in acquiring more and more earthly wealth, a bigger house, a fancy car, a bigger bank account. For what?

I’m reminded of the parable of the “Rich Man” in Luke 12:13-21. This guy had acquired so much stuff he had no more room to store it. So he said he would tear down his barns and build them bigger so he could get more stuff.

But God said to him, “You fool! This very night your life will be required of you. Then who will get what you have stored up for yourself? ” This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.”

I’ve heard it said that the more treasures we store up in heaven, the brighter will be our anticipation of going there.

My friendswhen God created Adam and Eve and placed them in the Garden of Eden, they were prefect. They could have lived forever but they ate the fruit. They sinned and the Bible tells us over and over that sin separates us from God. God told them, “You will surely die.” And so will we. For we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
I was reading through some of my old notes the other day and I found this article about death. The title was: “What a wonderful way to explain it.” 

A sick man turned to his doctor as he was preparing to leave the examination room and said, “Doctor, I’m afraid to die. Tell me what lies on the other side.” Very quietly, the doctor said, “I don’t know.” You don’t know? You’re a Christian man and you don’t know what’s on the other side?

The doctor was holding the handle of the door. On the other side came a sound of scratching and whining, and as he opened the door, a dog sprang into the room and leaped on him with an eager show of gladness.

Turning to the patient, the doctor said, “Did you notice my dog?” He’s never been in this room before. He didn’t know what was inside. He knew nothing except that his master was here, and when the door was opened, he sprang in without fear. I know little of what is on the other side of death, but I do know one thing… “I know my Master is there and that is enough.”

Now, I like that little story, but God didn’t leave us completely in the dark concerning life after death. I invite you to take out your bibles and read Revelation Chapter 21. The Apostle John, with the help of the Holy Spirit gives us a beautiful description of what heaven will be like.

                                                           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Is there Joy in your Heart?”