Saturday - September 3, 2016

Woodlawn Family Bible Study
SATURDAY

BIBLE READING:  John 14

As Jesus closes out His  ministry here on Earth, he seized an opportunity to bond with His disciples. He had just sent Judas out of the room after washing their feet and was now giving them  His final instructions before His arrest. He knew they were troubled. He could see it in their eyes. I don’t think they could help it. They had never been in a situation like this before, nor did they understand Jesus’ demeanor. After all, these men had left their homes, their families, their jobs for Jesus and it if He was leaving, that left their future unknown. To comfort them Jesus offers these words: “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms..”(John 14.1-2). 

There are other versions that use the term mansions instead of rooms. The word actually means “a staying place or residence: and it can be translated as “mansion”, but I prefer use of the word rooms. I don’t believe these disciples were interested in a “mansion over the hilltop.” I think they were more concerned with being with Jesus. They had been content to not have a place to call their own for a couple of years now, so what good does the term mansion offer to comfort a troubled heart? No mansion can comfort a troubled heart, but you know what can? Jesus! The term rooms offers them a place to stay close to Jesus, in His house, not some “mansion over the hilltop.” So no disrespect to the translators or to Ira F. Stansfield, the author of the song, but I think I would be just as happy in a room in the Father’s house. Because when my heart is troubled, there is nothing on this Earth that can give me the comfort that He does. 

Prayer Requests

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Prepare for Happiness”

“Blow-out in Boston”