“All You Need is Love”


BIBLE READING: 1 Corinthians 12-14
                In 1967 the Beatles released the song “All You Need Is Love”.  It was released at a very critical time in our country when people were confused about what the concept of love truly was with the slogan “Make Love, Not War”.  Millions were protesting the war of Vietnam and were saying that instead of fighting we needed to love our enemies.  Although that is a Biblical concept and a teaching of Jesus, their concept of love was nothing like what Jesus had implied.  The “love” that was being advocated back then was the “free love” movement of the sixties, that was more of a sexual revolution than an advocate for Jesus.   Although I will have to admit, love is the greatest thing in the world; but love is more than a feeling or an expression.  According to Paul in I Corinthians 13, love is expressed in a very detailed and delicate way.  Notice the way Paul expresses what love is in his letter to the Corinthians.
“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends...” (1 Corinthians 13:1-8)
Who knew that Paul, George, John and Ringo were right all those years ago; love is all you need! But that love is one of action, sacrifice and selflessness.  There are some great concepts of the Bible like faith and hope, but the greatest concept is that of true selfless, sacrificial, uncompromising love!
Prayer Requests:___________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Prepare for Happiness”