"Baiting Our Hooks"


BIBLE READING: Psalm 30, 2 Samuel 24, 1 Chronicles 21-22
                When I was child I remember going fishing with my father in our pond that we had in the pasture.   Fishing is something that I enjoyed as a boy, but as a boy there were a couple of things I wasn’t good at: patience and putting the worm on the hook.  I always hated putting that slimy worm on that hook, as all of its gooey insides got all over my fingers.  To help me out, my father would always bait my hook for me.  I’m sure he never got to enjoy fishing because I was repeatedly hollering for him to fix my bait.  As I got older, I was forced to learn how to do it myself, but I was able to do so because I had witnessed my dad do it for me so many times.        
           This was the day that David had waited for years to happen; the day that he would commission his son Solomon to build the house of the LORD.  The construction of such a Temple had been a passion of David’s since his rule began, but due to decisions he had made along the way, God had prevented him from building it.  Instead, God wanted a “man of rest” (I Chronicles 22.9) to build His Temple.  When David first commissioned Solomon for the task at hand, Solomon was still a young boy not prepared to handle such a large task.  To help Solomon out, David began to do the early work in preparing the nails, ordering the timber, hiring the laborers and collecting gold, silver, bronze and iron.  He did this for Solomon to help make things easier for him, but also to teach some valuable lessons to a young inexperienced son.  I bet those days of David preparing Solomon for the work of the Temple were some of the greatest days of his life.  Parents, make sure you take a few moments to bait a few hooks with your children.  Help them out by bringing them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Ephesians 6.1-4).  David and Solomon is just another Biblical example about what a parent needs to do for their children; to prepare them for their service in the kingdom.  You will look back and cherish those moments, and so will they.
Prayer Requests:_______________________________________________________________




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Prepare for Happiness”