"Have You Ever Lost Your Temper?"

BIBLE READING: Numbers 18-20      

                Losing my temper has always been one of my short comings.  In the heat of the moment, I tend to scream, make exaggerations and stomp my way into proving a point.  I’m not saying it is right, but at least I do feel a little better knowing that I am in good company with the leader of the nation of Israel; Moses.  It must have been very frustrating for Moses to trust in God so much only to see his own people’s trust fade so quickly in a moment of conflict.  In the reading for today, we find the nation of Israel in a similar situation as before, in having a lack of drinking water.  Moses and Aaron once again go into the presence of the Lord to ask for help.  God, in his great mercy and grace, agrees to help by giving specific instructions to Moses; to tell the rock to bring forth water.  As directed, Moses and Aaron gather the people together near the rock and Moses, in a moment of frustration and slight loss of tempter, does this: “Then Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly together before the rock, and he said to them, "Hear now, you rebels: shall we bring water for you out of this rock?" And Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock with his staff twice, and water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their livestock.” (Numbers 20:10-11).  I can just see myself beating that rock (like I tend to do with fist on the table) to prove my point.  I guess I think that the harder I hit my fist on that table and the louder my voice becomes…the stronger my point is.  Well, as usual, I am wrong and so was Moses.  It is because of this one lapse in judgment that Moses would not be able to lead them into the Promise Land.  It may not be likely, but it is possible that with one lapse in our own judgment or one slight exhibition of a lack of control of our temper, we could forfeit all that is important to us.  It is scary; so as you continue your day, pray for God to help you keep your temper in check.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Prepare for Happiness”

“Blow-out in Boston”