Tuesday - November 1, 2016

Woodlawn Family Bible Study
TUESDAY

BIBLE READING:  2 Timothy 3:10-17

I love tools! No matter how many I have, I am always wanting more. I always enjoy browsing at Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, and especially the Tool Outlet stores usually seen at strip malls in tourist cities. I’m sure this craze has something to do with my father, who was a machinist by trade. All throughout my childhood, my father worked the graveyard shift at an aluminum plant. However, by day he was the owner of the number one Volkswagen repair shop of metropolis Killen, Alabama (by “number one”, I mean the only one). I grew up believing that my dad could fix anything. He was always telling me, “Son, you can do anything you set your mind to as long as you have the right tools.” He had them all in his arsenal: screwdrivers, socket sets, crescent wrenches, pneumatic tools, torches, saws, channel locks, and his pocketknife. I remember him trying to teach me the ropes of how to use all of these tools, but I was a stubborn little kid, and I was more interested in watching the WWF on Saturday mornings than changing the points and plugs on a Volkswagen. 

However, of all the tools my father taught me to use, the most important by far was his Bible. I don’t really remember him reading it at home very much, but in his later years, I saw him read it during his breaks at work. 

The Word of God is the most valuable tool we have in this world. Paul tells Timothy that it is “profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work” (2Timothy 3:16-17). Although I never saw Dad use his Bible as a tool for fixing cars, I did see him using it to fix his life; not only his own life, but also all those with whom he came into contact. Maybe that is why I have so many tools - and Bibles - at my house. 

Application: Today, you know that you have something that needs fixing, so use the best tool for the job—the Word of God.

Prayer Request

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Colors of Christmas: Green

“Blow-out in Boston”

“Prepare for Happiness”