Saturday - September 10, 2016

Woodlawn Family Bible Study
SATURDAY

BIBLE READING:  Acts 17:1-9

The world needs more troublemakers. 

That is not what you would expect me to say, but that is exactly what we need. In Acts 17, when Paul and Silas were preaching in the synagogue in Thessalonica, a great number of the Greeks were believing as were some of the Jews. However, there were a good number of Jews upset with what had been taught. They were jealous and had formed a mob and dragged some of the people there with Paul and Silas to the officials saying that these men (Paul and Silas) have come here and have "turned the world upside down" (Acts 17:6). That phrase means that they were causing trouble, hence being troublemakers. 

The message of the cross is one that causes trouble. Jesus lets us know ahead of time that His message would cause trouble. “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter in law against her mother in law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it” (Matthew 10.34-39). 

If we truly are living like we should and teaching others like we should, it will disrupt the status quo and cause some trouble. 

Application: What kind of trouble have you been causing? 

Prayer Request

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“I Will Call Upon the Lord”

“Blow-out in Boston”

"The Advice of Azariah"